Friday, November 05, 2010

A Rhyme for Current Events

While homosexuality was not the only issue in the recent elections, I sent this as a letter to the editor of a newspaper:

AS HOMOPHOBIA AFFECTS ELECTIONS

Is my little life the cinder in the Eagle’s eye?
the stone in Democracy’s shoe?
My modest days the terror in a collective mind?
Me, the mildest creature in their zoo?

Have I the power (arthritis and eczema aside)
to crumble the state (I guess I better not scratch).
Because of me, husband and wife lose their home?
I’m the cause when they question if they match?

I wish I had answers for my questions?
Then I might live at last free of fear
that someone looking at me will see their monster,
with finny spine and embers for its eyes – a queer.

– James McColley Eilers, November 5, 2010

No comments: