Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Thank you, Gail Horvath

After receiving their company's valentine, which included a beautiful photograph of the moon by Gail Horvaith, and a selection from a Chinese poet, I wanted to respond to Gail Horvath and Dan and Meredith Beam [www.beaminc.com] with a verse by the Chinese poet Tu Fu (Du Fu), but could not find that verse, and so I sent them a few of my favorite Japanese haiku, and Gail responded by superimposing one of the haiku on another of her photographs. Is there anything more wonderful than creative collaboration?

YOU PROBABLY WON'T NEED TO, BUT CLICK ON
THE PHOTO IF YOU WANT TO ENLARGE IT:



That list of haiku I gave them...plus a few more:

Oh do not swat them...
Unhappy flies forever
Wringing their thin hands.
-- Issa

Moon-in-the-water
Turned a white somersault...yes
And went floating off.
-- Ryota

Oh you bawdy breeze...
Thatcher working on the roof
I see your bottom.
-- Issa

Look at the candle!
What a hungry wind it is...
Hunting in the snow.
-- Issa

Dead my old fine hopes
And dry my dreaming but still...
Iris, blue each spring.
-- Shushiki

The turnip farmer
Rose and with a fresh-pulled turnip
...pointed to my road.
-- Issa

Paper-weights protect
Gay picture-books in the shop...
Inquisitive breeze.
-- Kito

A childless housewife...
How tenderly she touches
Little dolls for sale.
-- Ransetsu

Here is the dark tree
Denuded now of leafage...
But a million stars.
-- Shiki

I scooped up the moon
In my water bucket...and spill
It on the grass.
-- Ryuho

Arise from sleep, old cat,
And with great yawns and stretching...
Amble out for love.
-- Issa

Oh do not swat them...
Unhappy flies forever
Wringing their thin hands.
-- Issa

1 comment:

castlewon said...

how nice to find these here!