Thursday, January 26, 2012

Billie: Good Morning, Heartache



Good Morning, Heartache

Good morning, heartache –
You old gloomy sight.
Good morning , heartache.
Thought we said goodbye last night.
I turned and tossed until it seemed you had gone.
But here you are with the dawn.
Wish I’d forget you, but you're here to stay.
It seems I met you
When my love went away.
Now every day I start by  saying to you,
Good morning, heartache, what's new?

Stop haunting me now.
Can't shake you no how.
Just leave me alone.
I've got those Monday blues.
Straight through Sunday blues.
Good morning, heartache.
Here we go again.
Good morning, heartache.
You're the one
Who knew me well.
Might as well get used to you  hanging around
Good morning, heartache.
Sit down.

[Identified with Billie Holiday, who reprises the second stanza, “Good Morning, Heartache” is the work of Irene Higginbotham, Ervin Drake, and Dan Fisher.]

No comments: